Monday, May 2, 2011

Closet Love: Clothes that give back

I went shopping this weekend. I love shopping. It is definitely one of my favorite things to do. But I started thinking about all the time and money that goes into shopping. Did you know that Americans spend 15 billion dollars every year on perfume alone and 50.7 billion a year on shoes, shoes?! I guess I'm not the only one who likes to shop ;). When I was trying on the cutest Anthropologie dress that fit like it was made for me with fabric that moved as I moved and as I started to drool a little over a dress I looked at the price tag and thought "that's a lot of money to spend on myself," which led me to think how we can I turn my shopping habits into opportunities to give back. With a little research I found companies that have turned their businesses or parts of their businesses into funding movements to aid causes and help people. I would be naive to say I could only wear clothes like this but sometimes I can intentionally make choices when I shop and turn it into a way to give. So, here is a whole outfit that gives back.


Shirt: Common Threadz- A nonprofit for helping orphans, every shirt you purchase buys a school uniform for an orphan.

Pants: Volcom-is offering a wonderful solution, Give Jeans a Chance, to find your used denim a new home through The National Coalition for the Homeless. You bring them your denim (any brand), they will clothe someone who needs it.

Shoes: TOMS- With every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One for One.

Necklace: 31 Bits-Not only are their necklaces made from recycled paper and other local materials but 31 Bits is a business using fashion and design to empower women in Uganda to rise above poverty.

Perfume: Donna Karen's Pure by DKNY- is part of a collaborative project with CARE proceeds from this particular fragrance going to help over 1000 women in Uganda break the cycle of poverty by helping them with education and jobs.

Bag: STOPstart- made from recycled feed bags these bags and wallets go to stopping human trafficing and helping the victims start a new life. By purchasing their products you will help support projects that work with victims of human trafficing.

No comments :

Post a Comment