Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Home


Four years ago we purchased our first "home". For the past four years we have filled that home with memories, laughter, love, and who are we kidding, stuff. If our walls could talk they would talk about the joy we had when we brought our baby boy home from the hospital, they would talk about all the different smells of spices as the lady of the house learned to cook for a family, they would probably share about our anger when we figured out one of the dogs was repeatedly peeing in the house, they would show a slideshow of all the happy faces of people that came to our house to share life with us, and they would know in the fibers of their wood (or drywall) they weren't just walls but were part of a place we were/are so thankful for.

As the For Sale sign went up I almost reverted to the 10 year old Amy who kicked down the for sale sign in front of our family home and attempted to tie my cousin and I to the door frame on moving day. These are my first reactions, my carnal reactions to change. I desire to put down roots and stay put. To keep familiarity and comfort close. But these past couple months that I have pulled in the driveway and seen the for sale sign starring back at me I have thought about what makes a place "home". It's not if it has 3 bedrooms, a den, nice kitchen, space for your stuff, it's not whether you rent or own, it's not even where it is but home is wherever I am with my boys. The memories can be made elsewhere, the laughter can fill a small town home in San Diego, the love will permeate where we are, and the stuff...well, we can get rid of a lot of stuff.

I am praying that wherever we move into we make it just as much as a home as our first home has been. I am praying for our new memories. I am praying that we can have a space big enough to work and play comfortably and be proud to have people over. I am also praying for whoever moves into our home in Prescott Valley, AZ that they would also be blessed by the memories they make there.

Someone said "You can make a house out of walls and beams but a home is made from love and dreams". Here's to love and dreams!

ps. Here is the link to our home in Prescott, take a gander, make an offer =)

No comments :

Post a Comment